First Game of Shadow Of War and a Campaign

Greetings everyone, Aaron from the Soban network with a little post about some gaming goodness here on The Soban Network. So today I had my first game of Shadow of War for warhammer 40k and I have to say I was happily impressed. Now this game reminded me abit of the old mordheim table top games since its like a small skirmish game but with some RPG elements. Despite it also being some of me and my buddies first games we got through it pretty quickly so the rules are not to bad to learn. So today we did two games, the first one was our demo game and the second was our campaign mission. Our list where pretty basic and i'll post below a summary of our games.

Opponents Kill Team.

Veteran sergeant - 150 pts - Bolt Pistol - Camo Gear  
 Veteran Guardsman - 100 pts - Lasgun - Camo gear - Clip Harness 
Veteran Guardsman - 100 pts - Lasgun - Camo gear - Clip Harness 
Veteran Guardsman - 100 pts - Lasgun - Camo gear - Clip Harness 
Veteran Guardsman - 100 pts - Lasgun - Camo gear - Clip Harness 
Special Weapon Ops - 175 pts - Plasma Gun (red dot) - Camo gear Special 
Weapon Ops - 175 pts - Plasma Gun (red dot) - Camo gear  
 Guardsman - 100 pts - Lasgun (red dot) - Camo Gear

So my buddy Sebastian had a pretty good kill team with a solid amount of fire power. One of the things I noticed is that each one of his guys though pretty basic the Camo gear was a pretty big item. The other being the Plasma gun units reddot sight. Though the reddots didn't do as well in our second game, in the Demo game he brutal murdered my troops with it. All and all I do enjoy his kill team and its Firepower. 

Aaron's Kill Team 

Veteran Sergeant  230 - Carapace Armour-Plasma Pistol-Boltgun-Combat Knife 
Veteran Guardsmen  145 -Carapace Armour-Lasgun -Hotshot Laser Power Pack -Combat Knife 
-Las Pistol -Camo Gear Veteran Guardsmen  145 -Carapace Armour-Lasgun -Hotshot Laser Power Pack -Combat Knife 
-Las Pistol -Camo Gear 
 Veteran Guardsmen  145 -Carapace Armour-Lasgun -Hotshot Laser Power Pack -Combat Knife 
-Las Pistol -Camo Gear 
 Veteran Guardsmen  145 -Carapace Armour-Lasgun -Hotshot Laser Power Pack -Combat Knife 
-Las Pistol -Camo Gear
    Special Weapon Operative 175-Carapace Armour-Combat Knife-Las Pistol-Sniper Rifle-Telescopic sight-Camo Gear 

So my Kill team went with a different approach then my Opponent. I went with a small kill team that was both well equipped and heavily armoured. I tried to make each one of my guys as powerful as possible with a solid main rifle with a ability to fight in closecombat and be well protected. I also wanted a sniper so I can setup overwatch as well as having long range firepower. Pretty much the whole idea of this Kill Team was to be Delta Force of the Imperial Guard and I think I pulled it off. 


Demo Game summary  

So the first game we did was a quick little demo game and one I learned quite a few lessons in Shadow of War. The mission we played was the raid and pitted my Elite commandos raiding the entrance to a bunker complex. What was unique about the mission is I had to roll to see how many of troops would be available that pitted me against a random amount of troops guarding the complex. In this I rolled low and only got 4 of my kill team where Seb got 6 out of 8. In this i selected my sergeant, 3 of my Veterans and the sniper where seb went with quite abit of fire power and most of his Veterans. Deployment didn't go to well since I had one position where I can setup my sniper and the rest of my troops had to go through open ground to get to cover. This went as brutal as one could expect as first turn my sniper knocked out one troopers then with the alarm sounded he proceed to murder my entire fireteam out in the open. With these brutal lessons learned I can see where this game was going to be abit different from standard 40k but ready I was going to be. 


Campaign Mission 1 

So after the brutal demo game we got onto our first mission of our campaign. So the whole premise of the campaign ( background and prologue released at another date) was 157th Catachan Airbourne Regiment had supposedly gone rogue and attacked a Mechanicum outpost on the planet and Imperial High Command wanted to get to the bottom of this Aggression. What they sent it was a special Detachment of Raven Group, a Elite Imperial Guard Commando outfit and trained for recon, sabotage, assassination. Being Grav chuted into the middle of a city Raven Group begins their mission to undercover the loyalty of the Regiment. 

So this game we went with the mission Kill Team Fight pitting both kill teams in a intense engagement in the ruins of the city. This mission went quite differently with me deploying my Sniper and his Spotter in a over watch postion while a 4 man fireteam advanced cautiously up the middle. My opponent knowing I had a advantage tried to setup a solid firebase in a outlaying building while some of his troops waited in ambush. As I advanced he tried to setup a quick surprise assault but thanks to my 2 man team in over watch with the sniper he wasn't able to advance. The rest of the game would see my elite troops slowly advance knocking out his troops and he eventually decided to fall back after losing most of his team. All and all this game went differantly and the lessons learned from my demo game great. We didn't roll most advances but when we start our next game we will do are equipment and squad up rolls.This is looking to be a intersting game and I can't wait to do more. 

I hope you all enjoyed this read and stay tuned for more Shadow of War games plus much much more.

Comments